Better support for upcoming Firefox versions · 2015-07-22 11:33 by Wladimir Palant
The Adblock Plus 18.104.22.16863 development build is a release candidate, Adblock Plus 2.6.10 for Firefox will be released next Tuesday is everything goes well. We implemented a bunch of improvements and fixed several issues affecting newer Firefox versions (especially multi-process Firefox). The most important changes are:
- Fixed a syntax error breaking Adblock Plus in Firefox 41 and above (bug 1176702)
https://subscribe.adblockplus.org/?location=http://example.com/as an alternative to
abp:subscribe?location=http://example.com/links (issue 2211).
- Fixed subscribe links in multi-process Firefox (issue 1730).
- Made the comment page of the issue reporter more compact so that the report data field has more space (issue 344).
- Fixed share dialog on the first-run page, it was broken starting with Firefox 38 (issue 2710).
Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer with support for administrator install · 2015-07-08 18:09 by Oleksandr Paraska
Going in line with our Chrome and Firefox versions of Adblock Plus, it is now possible to suppress the first run page, and disable the automatic updates in Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer. This feature is now available in the latest devbuild 1.4.796
Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer 1.4 release candidate available · 2015-02-19 09:29 by Oleksandr Paraska
We would like to announce that the current devbuild 1.3.763 is going to be the basis for the release of Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer 1.4, which we are planning to release on Wednesday the 25th of February.
Here is a list of all improvements since version 1.3.
New in this release is the addition of the installer for Active Directory installs, which we really hope network administrators would appreciate.
Also, this version is the first version that will perform queries for notifications like all other ABP versions.
Adblock Plus 2.6.6 for Firefox release candidate · 2014-11-03 13:17 by Wladimir Palant
The current Adblock Plus 22.214.171.12472 for Firefox development build is a release candidate, we plan to release Adblock Plus 2.6.6 next Tuesday (November 11, 2014). There is only one change, Adblock Plus will use a slightly different approach to read files from disk (issue 1510). The reason is a change that Mozilla made for Firefox and that broke Adblock Plus completely in the Firefox nightly builds — this change was temporarily reverted but it will land again.
We don’t expect any issues with this development build. However, please let us know if Adblock Plus suddenly has trouble reading its data (everything empty in Filter Preferences). Also, there is a slight chance of startup performance regressions here.
Adblock Plus 2.6.1 release candidate available · 2014-05-09 15:38 by Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus 126.96.36.19912 for Firefox is a release candidate for Adblock Plus 2.6.1, which we currently plan to release next Tuesday (May 13th). We fixed several issues, especially some affecting Adblock Plus on Firefox for Android:
- No first-run page appears in Firefox for Android and no filter subscription is selected by default (issue 99).
- Opening settings from the first-run page doesn’t work in Firefox for Android (issue 255).
- Adblock Warning Removal List gets disabled on update even if the user opted in earlier (issue 424).
- Home and End keys don’t work when editing a filter (issue 256).
- Wrong filter rule suggested when blocking an address that contains a hash part (issue 247).
- Adblock Plus icon reappears after restart if removed from the toolbar in SeaMonkey (issue 186).
Adblock Plus for Chrome development builds are now in Chrome Web Store · 2014-05-07 18:16 by Wladimir Palant
We implemented automatic upload of the Adblock Plus for Chrome development builds to Chrome Web Store which will become the primary source of the development builds now.
Data loss on Google Chrome hopefully fixed · 2014-04-29 11:26 by Wladimir Palant
There have been complains about data loss on Google Chrome for quite some time already. People complained about all filters data suddenly being gone — without any obvious reason and without any way to reproduce the issue. It seems that we’ve finally found the cause of this issue and it has been resolved in Adblock Plus 188.8.131.525 for Chrome. Please report any issues you notice with this development build. The current plan is to have a new stable release next Tuesday, then we will see whether the fix worked (the issue is rare enough that it isn’t possible to tell anything before rolling out the fix to the entire user base). If you are interested, the details are listed in issue 361.
Element Hiding Helper integration with Inspector restored · 2014-04-15 16:26 by Wladimir Palant
When Firefox 10 introduced the Inspector tool we promptly started using it in Element Hiding Helper. Selecting elements with the Inspector tool is easier than with Element Hiding Helper and one only has to click the EHH button in the Inspector toolbar to hide it then. Unfortunately, the developer tools API wasn’t quite as stable as expected and changes to it broke the integration again. Sorry that it took us so long but starting with Element Hiding Helper 1.2.4a.458 everything should be working again. Element Hiding Helper 1.3 is currently scheduled to be released next Tuesday (April 22nd).
Adblock Plus 2.6 for Firefox release candidate available · 2014-04-15 11:51 by Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus 184.108.40.20695 development build is a release candidate for Adblock Plus 2.6, the release is currently scheduled for next Tuesday (April 22nd). The list of changes in this release:
- Made sure Adblock Plus initialization doesn’t delay Firefox startup (issue 117).
- Switched to a faster way to access Adblock Plus data on disk (issue 153).
- Fixed regression in Adblock Plus 2.5.1: Adblock Plus initialization takes longer for each new window opened (issue 238).
- Fixed: Firefox Sync integration sometimes won’t work (issue 261).
- Fixed: Filter search in Filter Preferences was broken in newer Firefox versions.
- Fixed: Wrong button type displayed for Adblock Plus immediately after customizing toolbar in Firefox 29 and above (bug 981543).
- Fixed: Homepage link is displayed in Filter Preference even if the subscription doesn’t define a homepage (issue 48).
- Various code cleanup tasks (issue 137, issue 301).
New approach to hard drive access · 2014-03-21 19:14 by Wladimir Palant
Starting with Adblock Plus 220.127.116.1185 we switched to a new way to access the hard drive. Ideally there shouldn’t be any visible changes, Adblock Plus simply won’t cause occasional delays in Firefox on hard drive access. It might also fix the startup delays some people are still reporting despite our previous changes. The required functionality is only available starting with Firefox 19 which is why this development build and future Adblock Plus releases will no longer install in older Firefox versions.
Technical details: Adblock Plus now uses OS.File API to make sure the hard drive is never being accessed on the main thread. Previously Adblock Plus was using rather weird hacks to achieve the same goal, that worked only for reading and writing files however — not for renaming files for example.